Monday, November 11, 2013

Intro to writing Bio's 101: Where to start?




While doing some brief research on my project, I realized where to start the course is vital to course development. Do I assume my learners have a resume? Do I assume they understand wordy verses to the point? I stumbled onto one of my favorite humor writer and author Scott Berkun's blog : http://scottberkun.com/2013/how-to-write-a-good-bio/ who talks about long descriptions verses to the point, yet humorous bio introductions.

Often when I have had to write a bio for a class or professional situation, I find myself either very wordy or attempting to be humorous. The free advice on the internet for this topic has been overwhelming in the many different directions to go. As a wordy type writer, I tend to add too much and take too long a time fretting over every word or phrase. But as my mother use to say, "Professionals charge for free advise. Those who give it away often don't add value to the situation". So, in the spirit of my mom, I am looking at professionally paid advise or magazine writers to create my guide for this class. Any comments or suggestions on where to start my class will be considered; billing me for your input - optional.

No comments:

Post a Comment