Wednesday, November 6, 2013

 As I sit here in Chicago, thinking of the view from the Monroe Street bridge which I took this summer while testing my new Nikon 5200 camera, I am working on the idea for my Web 2.0 final project. As I am to create an eLearning training and blog about all the aspects of the idea to delivery of the product, I thought I would start with the idea for this blog.

 The Eastern Sun in the background of this site is from my front window of our house and was central to a project idea for finding out if your house's historical story. As that was already done for a different class, I thought I might consider a total change in direction. Although, I have thought about teaching this topic before, I never considered it as a Web 2.0 course or to use social media to present it. But it makes sense after taking the WIU IDT 516 course.

One area, which I find is often an issue in training is the concept of a professional styled electronic portfolio with a resume and bio attached. I want to teach what things should be found in one to highlight key career goals and employment histories. These days this information is much different than what employer requires for their staff to create for yearly SMART goals. I want to briefly define the differences and guide learners toward why keeping two distinctly different portfolios is an important habit to develop. 

Often employees do not set up a portfolio while employed and panic when they need to pull together their information for promotions, nominations, or bios for sudden career opportunities. Nor do they think about how to use such forms of social media for business related networking. Understanding how to best electronically present themselves is more important now than a business card and easier to update.

I hope to teach a brief course on how to set up a professional career portfolio and what Web 2.0 employers are looking for from the new social media savvy employee or job seeker. I would like to use several different Web 2.0 tools in my course as well as possibly interview a few in the Human Resources field or have a guest speaker on a couple topics. My goal today is to help others from my training course while creating a great course for my own professional portfolio. We will see how the journey goes or if I change topics.

1 comment:

  1. This would be useful for me, also. I am just starting to think of what type of portfolio I want. The other day I saw a great portfolio infograph. And I wondered who or what employer would appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete